Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bacon Potato Soup



8 slices of bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
1/4 c chopped onion
2 c chopped potato
1 c water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 c milk
1 c sour cream
American cheese as desired (I used cheddar)


I also doubled this recipe when I made it. :-) Since I doubled it I did not have enough cream of chicken soup or sour cream so I added a cup of chicken broth. Yum!

In a 3qt saucepan, cook bacon until brown**. Add onions, cooking until tender. Add potatoes, water (and the chicken broth I added to recipe), salt and pepper. Continue cooking until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low, stir in soup, milk and sour cream. Cook until heated through, adding cheese if you want. Ham instead of bacon also works well. If it is too thin you can add potato flakes to thicken.

**Next time I make this I will be saving the bacon until the end. I like mine crispy so I will be leaving it out to sprinkle on the top of my heaping bowl of potato goodness. :-) Matt liked the bacon IN the soup so I will most likely just make a batch, half it, and put the bacon in his and mine without.

Enjoy ladies and gents. It's a fabulous soup that I will be making again soon.

3 comments:

~J's Mommy~ said...

mmmmm looks yummy! is the recipe you posted the double recipe or is that the regular one?? i'm gonna try this, but with your tip at the end.. i will put bacon in it, but also make extra to put on top.

Crystal said...

This is the single recipe. :)

Val said...

I can't wait to try this. Thanks for posting it. I suppose I'll have to like quadroople it or something. Haha.